Do you think eating healthfully means depriving yourself on Thanksgiving? Think again!
Here are 4 simple strategies that can help you enjoy your food and be THANKFUL the day after Thanksgiving, too.
1. Focus on who’s AROUND the table more than what is ON the table. Yes, the food is wonderful, but in most instances you could have made that at home…you came to the event to see the people. Make sure you:
- Position yourself where you cannot mindlessly munch on the food.
- Enlist the aid of a family member or friend to help you stay on plan.
- Never be alone with the leftovers (one client referred to this as the Witness Protection Plan!).
2. Plan and Track. Imagine it is the day after Thanksgiving, and you are looking back at the day. What would make you smile and feel good about how the day went? What would not? Use these images to guide your plans for the day. Do use whatever accountability tool you use to track your food and activity. It may not be perfect, but just the attempt to keep track will make your more aware of your choices.
3. Exercise…whether it’s a stroll after dinner, a Turkey Trot, or an extra workout. Find ways to incorporate movement to maximize your enjoyment during the day and perhaps burn off some of those extra calories you’re likely to consume.
4. Time management. This is the one that brings all of the other strategies to life. Think about the flow of the day, what you want to happen, and WHAT needs to happen WHEN to allow your dream to come true.
Wishing all of you the Happiest of Thanksgivings! May your blessings be many and your worries be few.
To Your Good Health,